Propane is a safe, economical, clean-burning and versatile fuel when properly used. As a supplier of propane and other energy products, your safety is extremely important to us. That’s why we provide our delivery personnel with extensive safety training, and why we offer propane system safety checks to our customers.
When it comes to gas appliances, safety is a top priority.
If you smell gas in your home, follow these steps:
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones.
- Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away. If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
This brochure provides excellent information about propane, its safe use and how to respond if you suspect a leak or problem with your propane system. Click image to view:
Keeping Everyone Informed
Let your kids explore a virtual house to find ways propane is used in and around our homes.
Visit www.propanekids.com to learn more!